2015...8.30

If you don't care for a parent or a loved one you probably won't understand but maybe this will help you understand what someone goes through that does... Maybe you know or maybe you don't but I live with my amazing 71 almost 72 year young mom... It is my pleasure to share my life and home with her... Which it is actually her home but it is our home but anyway we are roomies and we take care of each other...However it is slowly becoming me taking care of her and it's OK...

And I say that because for  most of my life she has taken care of me... Because that is what parents are there for... They made us... and the good ones watch over us and still try and take care of us, even when we don't necessarily want them too, even though we secretly want them too, but we don't want to admit it...

Well, this past Friday my sweet Mom had carpal tunnel surgery and being the only child living with her and living near her, I had to take her to the surgery center and wait and be there to speak with the doctor and laugh with the nurse and then sit awkwardly by as the nurse dressed her following the surgery... Now I said sit awkwardly is because I felt like she was taking my job... I thought, "Hey, why are you doing that? That's my job..." But as I watched her, she was just as gentle and patient and maybe slightly more patient as I would have been. She treated her like she probably treats her own mom... It made me smile...

When I texted my middle brother I told him Mom only had the left wrist done, he text back an inside joke about not having to help mom in a certain awkward situation, which I of course LOL'd right back... But of course Saturday night God had a funny way of paying me back for that because I ended up helping mom take a shower... We will just leave it at that... But I will say this...

I find myself extremely humbled by this experience and I realize just how much a parent does for their child... And just what we take for granted... I realize I have so much to give back and if it means doing something I never thought I would do, I will smile and reassure my Mom it's ok, and I will do it, because she is my Mom and I love her...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 649...Year 2 #RememberingCory

Day 159 of 366

A new chapter